Research related to the course on Rules for Meaningful Meetings

This is an excellent idea! If some or your participants are indeed interested in participating in research, it would be valuable to be able to contact them when the opportunity arises, so make sure you ask them for their consent to be contacted by meeting researchers in the future. It would also be good to know if they are in a leadership position in their organization that would allows them to make decisions about the whole organization (or a sub-unit) participating in a study.

One little study I’d be interested in doing would be about why the participants started thinking about meetings (and ended up taking the course): what are their previous experiences with meetings and meeting technology? I would also ask them about the course and a bit later whether they managed to change anything in their meetings but perhaps you are already planning something like that for the last session “Six weeks later: what have you achieved”? But if you’d like a neutral outsider to talk to your participants, this could be a way. Since this would be a little ad-hoc research project without funding, I’m not sure how much time I’ll be able to invest, but if you’re interested, we can investigate further.

That could be interesting! We’re currently tracking both a before and after survey, and encouraging comments throughout the course too. If you’re really interested in this for yourself or one of your students, it would make sense to go through the course first to ensure you have all the context and aren’t duplicating the conversation. Then, we’d be in good shape to talk about how to best integrate further investigations.

I wouldn’t mind going through the course but from a research perspective I’d actually consider it an advantage to not have been part part of those conversations because that way, interviewees cannot assume that I already know certain things which means they have to explain them, which improves the quality of the data. I noticed that when interviewing people about meetings that I had observed: it was very difficult to get them to tell me about what happened at the meeting because they thought I already knew what happened because I was there. So I believe it is actually better to let others do interviews about events that you were yourself involved in. It will give you richer and more nuanced data.