I may have mentioned to some of you that our team was building out a glossary of meeting terms. We finally have a first rough draft ready for review.
Glossary of Meeting Terms
The glossary includes resource links and brief definitions from a practitioner’s perspective for:
- Basic meeting terms, like quorum and consensus
- Types of meetings, like strategic planning and discovery
- Techniques, like the Lotus Blossom Technique and the KJ Method
- Dysfunctions, like lack of participation and dominance
- Technology, like video conferencing and decision support systems
We created the glossary for three reasons.
- We found that our customers sometimes needed help understanding meeting terms.
- We needed a handy way to save reference links that we share frequently. Basically, it’s like my team’s shared bookmark list.
- Search engines love pages like this. Definitions make Google happy.
This is 100% totally not at all an academic exercise (which I’m sure you’ll find obvious very quickly:) That said, we’re working towards definitions that are both approachable and accurate and would love to link to more technically correct material where appropriate.
Please take a look and let me know what you think. Do you have a really great link we should add to a term? (We include credit for all external links). Is there a term we absolutely need to get in here? Did we get a definition wrong? I’m eager to improve it.
Looking forward to your thoughts!