The do's and don'ts of hybrid meetings

Continuing the discussion from Meetings, The Benefits of Shared Understanding and How To Achieve it!

Thanks for the how to quote :blush: Useful

Wrt a new topic – maybe – I don’t really know the ‘etiquette’ or concept linked vocabulary to debate or tool-linked actions to achieve so be my guest to ‘do’ the necessary as you think best :blush:

I actually avoid hybrid now and suggest that even collocated people each make individual use a platform like lync/zoom rather than a polycom phone.

Happy to repeat this idea in a new ‘space’

Regards - Simon

1 Like

I move you post to a new topic. Generally it’s better to keep the discussion in each topic (discussion thread) as focussed as possible. If you click on the :link: icon under a post, you will find a “+New Topic” button which allows you to reply to that post as a new topic (instead of right under that post in the same topis.) So much for technicalities.

Should/can the collocated people still sit in the same room or should they go back to their respective desks or where ever they like and participate from there?

OK so this is opinion from personal experience.
The hybrid challenge is that discussion in the room easily lapses into “this” or other indefinate article references that people outside cannot identify because the linking gesture is lost.

SO IF the collocated community is savvy they will fill in the gaps to enable the remote participants to stay in sync. in my experience you really only need on ‘aware’ person but its a pain having to correct/ compensate for the unaware (mentally lazy?/ actually don’t care) participants…
SO having everyone actually interact via the virtual platform continually reinforces the need to be description and the use of ‘good’ mechanisms

The advice from the virtual collaboration consultants is shifting here. Many advise that if one person is virtual, everyone should be virtual. That said, technology is changing all the time. In our office, we use Zoom+Lucid and if we have several people in the same place, a Kubi robot. This gives the disembodied head of our remote colleagues a “seat at the table”, preventing many of the problems Kelvin notes about virtual participants getting ignored.
Our Kubi set up works well for our small team meetings. Larger groups need a more sophisticated approach. That said, I know many vendors working hard on changes to how we conduct remote collaboration, so this feels like an area where the research will need to be very nimble indeed to keep up.

If they’re all meant to be on the same video call, they should separate. The audio lag between what you can hear in the room and what comes through your headset is way too distracting if you sit close to one another.

1 Like